The fruit is sweet, but paired with a rich cheese (and some wine!) this is a savory and simple appetizer that will impress your guests. It’s also inexpensive, takes 10 minutes to make, and I’ve prepared it in two ways: hot and soft, and cold and crunchy. I love being able to feed a big group while giving them lots of options, and the fact that these are both fig based will surprise their palates! My inspiration came from Pioneer Woman and Barefoot Contessa, and I purchased all the ingredients from Trader Joe’s for around $17.
Ingredients for cold appetizer:
- 1 baguette, sliced into bites
- fig butter
- 1 tablespoon of regular butter
- I used “Unexpected Cheddar” from TJ’s, it’s $3.99 and has hints of Parmesan, but figs pair well with blue cheese, so if you have a braver cheese palate than I do I would recommend blue cheese or even Parmesan-raggiano.
- a few basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- prosciutto, which you should have leftover from the hot app
Hot App Ingredients:
- fresh figs – I bought a carton of Black Mission Figs at TJ’s
- The same cheese from above
- The same prosciutto from above
Let’s start with the super easy hot app.
STEP 1: Remove stems and cut figs in half. I used about 10 figs.
STEP 2: Slice cheese. Put tiny sliver of cheese on top of fig.
STEP 3: Slice prosciutto into thin strips and wrap around fig.
Before serving, place in oven for 10 minutes at 425 degrees until the meat is nice and crispy. If you’re making ahead go ahead and place in the fridge until you’re ready to bake. That’s it!
Now on to the crunchy app!
STEP 1: Melt butter in the pan and toast the baguette slices. *I bought a ficelle because I thought it would be easier, smaller bites. However, it was a little too hard to chew for my guests. Keep this in mind when choosing your bread and slice thin!
STEP 2: When the pieces have cooled spread fig butter on top. Then place piece of cheese, tiny bit of prosciutto and a thin slice of basil. Bon appetit!
I guarantee nobody will be missing fig newton’s when they taste these delectable treats!